Monday, September 9, 2013

Happy Grandparents Day!

Yes, I'm a day late in posting this, as National Grandparents Day was yesterday, but, better late than never right?

I had shared the following photos of my grandparents on Facebook, and decided to share them on my blog too.

So, in honor of National Grandparents Day, here are some photos of my grandparents.

I love this photo of my paternal grandparents Arthur Harry Iverson and Ingrid Anna Gillberg before they were married. The photo is attached to a page from one of my Grandma Ingrid's Books of Remembrance.

Arthur Iverson and Ingrid Gillberg in 1930

Thank you Grandma Ingrid for including a description of this photograph! This is what Grandma Ingrid wrote underneath the photo:
Arthur Hary Iverson and myself Ingrid Anna Gilberg
Taken before we were married. A time exposure.
  1930
I'm not sure why she spelled Arthur's middle name as Hary. It's actually Harry. And she spelled her last name as Gilberg. Over the course of time, I've seen her last name spelled Gilberg, Gillberg, and even Gilbert in documents.

I also love that Ingrid wrote "A time exposure" under the photo. I wonder how long Arthur and Ingrid had to sit still while their photo was taken.

This next photo shows my maternal grandparents Debs Warren Webster and his first wife Sarah Vasques Madeira. They were both born in Brazil and that's where this photo was taken.

Debs  Webster And Sarah Vasques Madeira

Sadly, Sarah passed away in 1942 when my mom was a little girl.

Debs married his second wife, Willis Quillin, in 1944.

This is a photo of Debs and Willis with me as a baby. My Grandpa Debs and Grandma Willis were very loving and kind. I miss them.

Grandma Willis and Grandpa Debs Webster holding Jana

I never knew my maternal grandmother Sarah Vasques Madeira or my paternal grandfather Arthur Harry Iverson. Arthur passed away when my father was a small boy.

I love my grandparents, including the grandparents I never knew in this life.

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2013 Copyright by Jana Last

6 comments:

  1. Some real treasures there Jana -- especially that you are able to see the grandparents you never really knew!

    Debs is an interesting and unusual first name. Is it short for something else? Is there any connection to the American Labor leader Eugene V. Debs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      Thank you! These photos really are treasures.

      You guessed it correctly. Debs' father named him after Eugene V. Debs. My grandfather did not like the name. He later changed it to Warren, which was his middle name.

      Delete
  2. National Grandparents Day slipped by me completely, but I enjoyed these lovely pictures of your grandparents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy,

      Thank you! It almost slipped by me too! =) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. You're better than I am. I was totally oblivious to Grandparents Day. Those are wonderful photos. I am always drawn to the photos of Sarah, but I don't recall seeing this one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,

      I didn't realized it was Grandparents Day until Sunday, which was Grandparents Day. That's why this post was a day late.

      Isn't that a cute photo of Sarah and Debs? I have more photos of Sarah that I haven't shared on my blog yet.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...